Almost 30

4:27 AM Stephanie 0 Comments



Most people say your 20's would amount to some of the best years in your life. I wouldn't really say 'best' per say and I guess it differs from person to person. To be honest my 20's had its extreme highs and extreme lows and those neutral moments too. And, yes I did have a heap of care-free fun but when maturity starts kicking in, your sole definition of fun changes too. But, hey..that's just my opinion.

I remember the initial stages of my 20's where the night life (clubbing and what not) was such a crucial part of my life - not to go get wasted either. It was my love for music and dancing that got me all reeled up about going out every Friday and Saturday. Sometimes mid-week too. Yeah it was fun for my extroverted self-back then but now going out (like that) makes me cringe because I have realized that I have a majority stake of being an introvert. Oh yeah, the type most people think as boring individuals who like to remain in their very own thought catalog :) Well, to introverts our thought catalog means much to us. We might not say much but our observation skills are on point. Although I feel that my personality has a huge chunk of introverted-ness, I feel that I still do have a little bit the extroverted traits here and there. The traits I obviously put into good use at the right place or time and not otherwise.

Even my perception of love has changed drastically over the years. In the sense (in my early 20's), I perceived love to be a bed of roses. The typical notion where my knight in shining armor comes along and rescues me from whatever life had to throw in front of me. The knight in shining armor - who would typically take on all my burdens and then fight the good fight to make sure everything felt right. Well after a couple of heartbreaks and romantic encounters - I have realized one thing as of now. I am my own knight in shining armor. However, that doesn't mean I chose to stay single. I do have a significant other who I care about but having him in my life doesn't mean that he's going to take up all my sorrows and make them better tomorrows. That is up to me really and up to each one of as individuals who can relate to what I'm saying here. A make or break situation as we go through life. Gathered from my experience, significant others make life easier to survive really. They become your source of comfort and encouragement in times of need. And if you've got the right person, they will ensure that you'd be the type of person who'd sing, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" and make you a better person when times get bitter. That assurance alone is good enough to make me smile and make life worthwhile. Significant other - you know who you are, so stop grinning like an idiot when you read this :)

Also, the concept of family being there regardless of how functional or dysfunctional is there too. And the realization of understanding that no family is perfect, and families are made up of the human race - a race that strives to be perfect but lag behind. Lag, because of their imperfections. But, what I have learnt is, despite what family background you come from, there will be at least one family member who'd always stand by you with whatever you go through. With my rebellious self, back in the day, I'm sure my dad had a tough time trying to figure out how he could connect with me the most and teach me what he thought was best. And, kudos to him for the effort to bring me up (despite the terrors I bestowed upon him), thinking that I was always right, and he was the enemy at the gates, trying to stop me from what I wanted to do. Now I've realized that it was all a good intention and he was only trying to protect me. A heart-felt thank you to the man (I'm referring to my dad here...obviously!) behind the stands. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be that good a parent as he is - he had to take on the role of a mother as well after all, so I can't even imagine his plight and with a person like myself who always thought I was right! :P I mean, he has toiled hard to give ducky (my sister) and me a good life to the best of his abilities. So, family, they will be your real comfort despite what happens - and that too, with no expectations (although ducky would secretly expect an occasional massage or a Revello - the 5-piece chocolate - or a cupcake, once in a while).

I sure as hell I’m glad that I have my circle of friends - another form of a true support system. I mean, over the years my closely-knit circle has reduced drastically and I'm glad it did. There are a few people I'm pretty much close to and these few people will organize a heist with me or cover up for me if I murdered someone (I kid you not) Fellows! You know who you are and knowing who I am, you pretty much know I would never tell you how much I love you and appreciate you being there for me (unless it's a note you get from me on your birthday) but THANK YOU! You fellows are the ones that have stuck by me through thick and thin, maybe some of you have seen me at my worst (sorry about that), gotten lashed out by me or just being there for me in silence. Thanks to all of you, I have learnt to build my trust towards the right people (and got blasted by you, right royally when I trusted the wrong types of people too). So, my friends have proven to be an important aspect of my life. And, I believe that if it's just one good friend who'd help you get through life - alive, it counts a hell of a lot.

So, the last thing I would like to speak about is the big C which stands for (trumpet roll) CAREER. And that is possibly a nightmare for most of us. What I've realized is that most people work for something they don't even care about because it pays them. Well of course I understand that we've all got bills to pay and what not but sometimes your work can be your worst stressor. Any job that causes this unhealthy stress - be it the nature of your work, your work environment or the people you work with - is not worth all that trouble. It's different if you're working hard towards something you truly believe in and you're passionate about. That is good stress - the type of stress that would push you to jump a few hurdles that will help you achieve your goals. If it doesn't, then you're in big trouble. And, you know it's never too late to realize what you truly want out of your career. Is it a 9 - 5 job? Is it the money, the perks and all that jazz? Is it a work environment that includes like-minded people or even people that you can share common ground with? Is it working with people who motivate you to give more of yourself, so you can teach more and learn more? Is it working with a place that gives you a piece of mind? (with less work politics) Is it working in an organization that gives back to society by nurturing people with good morals and principles? Or, is it simply the passion of starting something on your own? Well, I want all these things. Hence why I listed them out (obviously!). I have learnt that it's important to ask yourself what you truly want and the moment you have figured out what it is, write it down. And trust me when I say, when you write these things down, it gets easier to make decisions and materialize them into thorough actions.

I mean over the past 10 years of my twenty-hood, I have learnt to appreciate the little things. People who appreciate nature in its finest form - beach, sunset, sunrise, stars, rain, shine, mountains, trees, flowers, leaves oh and all creatures big and small. People who laugh at dorky jokes. People who are generous and go beyond their measures to put a smile on someone's face. People who speak about their passions and act on their passions. People who have been broken down a countless number of times but choose to be kind. People who have good morals and practice it on a day to day basis (hopefully with the intention of emitting it unto others). People who get lost in thought while reading a book. People who are happy spending time in their own company. And, so much more really. The little things that are taken for granted or overlooked.

And, most importantly I've learnt to appreciate me. (I'm my own knight in shining armor after all!)

Okay, I'd stop rant-writing...just speaking my mind you know!

In a nutshell, this is what ALMOST 30 feels like to me.

0 comments: