Love Actually

12:11 AM Stephanie 0 Comments


Just yesterday my sister and I were discussing how most people perceive the notion of love. By observation, it feels like love has become a superficial notion where people say meaningless "I love you's" and the "I want to spend the rest of my life with you's".

After going through a number of relationships throughout my life, I have learnt to percieve the notion of love differently. Yes, love gives you butterflies in your stomach but it's also the practical approach you have towards the life you live, with another person in the equation. When the Eagles sang the song, 'Love will keep us alive', it blossomed romance in the air (with goosebumps and all that jazz) but if you take into account what it really means, it just doesn't make sense. I mean, isn't food, water and basic needs in life that keeps you alive? Everytime I listen to that song now, I feel like the lyrics are slightly cliched', especially in the literal sense of it.

This morning, as I was heading to work, I saw a dog on the street hurrying somewhere with a bun in his/her (couldn't really see if it was a male or female - lol) mouth. And, then I realized the fellow must be carrying it for either his/her puppies or maybe a loved one (family or friend). That my dear, is what true love is. The fellow wanting to share the grub he/she got with someone near and dear to him/her. If a dog understands and practices this notion in this manner, why do us as human beings find it so hard to fathom and understand this notion that has being commercialized and spoken about universally? And just yesterday as my sister was working at her dining table, she screamed in fear of a flying cockroach (she's always had that phobia btw), and just at the point she screamed, her Garfield-look alike cat ran upto her and stayed beside her. (as if to protect her and tell her that she's there for her). It may seem simple to the open eye but in reality that is what love is. Something most of us tend to lack at times of crisis and adversity.

When people exchange wedding vows and they say for 'better or for worse', I always wonder if they truly understand the promise they make to each other or they just want to follow social norms and just put a tick in the box next to the 'marriage' aspect of their life. If people truly understood how each other felt and accepted them for the imperfect people they are, I assure you, the world would certainly be a better place with low divorce rates.

To me love (with a romantic partner) is a partner who helps you do your household chores, even if it's something simple as helping you fold your clothes. A partner who washes the dishes when you take the time to make his/her favorite food dishes. A partner who checks to see if you got home safe in a simple message. A partner who listens to the best and worst of your days and accepts you regardless of your imperfect ways. A partner who supports you and gives you good advice, even if your decisons are imprecise.

You get my drift right? :)

So, basically that's how I see love. You might not see it the same way but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway!

If you're reading this right now, I sincerely hope you are or you will be lucky enough to experience this kind of love. The kind that makes practical sense (to have and to hold) in a world that continues to revolve around a never-ending, abyss that sometimes, doesn't make sense to distressed souls who continue to fight for all of life's goals. 

0 comments: