The Open Office Nightmare

11:41 PM Stephanie 0 Comments


Are you a creative that has experience working in an open office space that doesn't have sound proof rooms? A place where you have access to block out the real world so you can go into your little world of creative conceptualization? I'm experiencing that right now and trust me when I say, IT'S A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE.

I guess it would be a tad bit better working in advertising because those guys, yeah the ones you call colorful & whacky, they know what I'm talking about. And, they understand because that's the nature of their job. But, working at a company that's filled with a bunch of techies - they don't really understand all that jazz. At least most of them don't. Sometimes I have recurring images of how I can make them disappear. It's a tough world out here I tell you.

It always makes me wonder as to why human beings are so selfish. I mean, I work at a company that showcases "empathy" as a core value. Don't really see that happening, AT ALL. Sometimes, I wonder if it's the creative minds that have the most amount of empathy towards people and understand where they are coming from. And, if they know a person is going through difficulty, being a pain in their ass is not at top of their list. That's our cue to stay the hell away. Because we folks like giving others a peace of mind.

With a little bit of research here and there, I came across a few interesting factors that breach etiquette at the workplace. And, to my surprise (NOT), I figured that I wasn't really alone in this. 36% respondents said when others used a speakerphone or talk loudly on the phone it caused them annoyance. Oh, I forgot the other. 8% also said that leaving the phone on loud is a nuisance too. I have to agree 100% with these guys. I mean, they know what they are talking about. This happens pretty much on a daily basis here. Why can't people just put their phones on silent when they work at an open office? I mean, it's not ducks around them. It's people who have better things to do than get distracted by their menacing ringtone. Oh, btw this research also stated that 23% said it was a menace when people loitered or continued talking around a colleague's desk. I couldn't agree more. I literally hear people talk, scream, laugh or do whatever through my headset, EVERYDAY. And, I am certain that I'd be completely deaf at the end of this year. My only reliance to finish up my daily dues is good music that's really loud. If not, I have to hear the herd's echo which is annoying as fuck! (please pardon my french)

Also, why on earth do people conduct meetings in an open space when there are meeting rooms? Aren't meeting rooms supposed to be for that purpose? Somehow, their meetings become everyone else's meeting. Lol. Every time this takes place, all I could think of is a hockey stick in my hand.

It's a struggle for us creatives and the sad thing is, people don't understand. Sometimes I wonder if they think we pull whatever that's created out of someplace the sun doesn't shine.

Personally, this whole concept of an open office space is not really suited for a country like ours. Why? Because people lack discipline and don't bother understanding the importance of each person's role. So, their lack of understanding explains their behavior in disturbing people and not letting them do their job properly. In Sinhalese, the saying would go as, "mage wade karagaththanan echcharai wenna one". Epitome of selfishness. I mean, it all boils down to a good value system, which I sincerely feel they haven't received in their lifetime. Or, either they've being taught this, but have low processing power in their brains. Or, maybe they've just got hay in their brains. Whatever it is, I have no faith in it.

And what is with some of these people saying, "Hey get used to working with loud sounds around?" It's not like I go around telling them, "Hey get used to working with me screaming in your ear while you're trying to figure out a complicated code?"

Oh well. It is what it is.

Let's hope for the best for the rest of the time we serve here.

And, to all you creatives out there who have experienced something similar, I am sincerely proud of you.

It's an achievement, I tell you.

I love you. Stay the same in a place that's insane.

0 comments: